Three years ago our lives changed when my daughter went from completely healthy and hitting all milestones to losing all speech, eye contact, she started screaming all the time, up all night, had dark circles under her eyes (known as allergic shiners), she went from eating everything accept dairy with no issue to being allergic to 35 different foods, hives from head to toe for 3 months straight, candida six times higher than a normal adults, high levels clostridia, major gut dysbiosis, major constipation and bloated belly, neurological issues, sensory issues, high anxiety, fear and OCD....Read other stories of children on the autistic spectrum who have been helped by doTERRA essential oils here.
Today she talks amazingly well, she has conversations with us, teases us, tells us she loves us (which is something I prayed to hear from her one day), Candida is at healthy levels, she sleeps sound and all night long, happy and singing all the time and her bowel movements are perfect.
Jaime particularly recommends the following five oils for children on the autistic spectrum:
- Balance – I use this oil before we do our homeschooling each day for focus and attention. Rubbing it up the neck and the base of the skull and a dab on the third eye point. We also use Balance before bed at night. Detoxifying, promotes courage and self-esteem.
- Lavender – this oil is recommended for almost every topic I covered in the class I taught. It is great for focus and attention, anxiety, sleep issues, inflammation, meltdowns and rashes. We use it everynight either on the bottoms of the feet, in our bath, backrub or on the base of the skull and neck. I also use it before going out in public since my daughter still can become overwhelmed and upset in big crowds. Recently I started using it for her before her social group class and immediately she was paying better attention, more calm and actually playing with the other kids.
- Frankincense - this oil is top of my list for anyone. Stimulates limbic system of the brain. I use this oil nightly on my daughters feet for calming, focus and inflammation in her body. I take it internally daily. It is analgesic, anti-depressant, anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, astringent, diuretic and sedative. Frankincense oil supports the healthy production of white blood cells and boosts the immune system.
- Vetiver – focus, calm, anxiety, depression, insomnia, skin care and healing, nervousness, stress,. Diffusing vetiver essential oil may help relieve stress and to recover from emotional shock and trauma. A natural tranquilizer, can help induce a restful sleep. It is also helpful for a congested liver and pancreas. It is very grounding and can be used at night if you have a child who walks in their sleep or seems very fidgety while sleeping. Pairs well with lavender and clary sage.
- In Tune – Helps restore focus and increase ability to stay on task, promotes clarity of thought and increases alertness and centering thought processes.
Read some additional suggestions that Jaime has for children with autism here.
She has compiled essential oils that help children with the following issues:
- sleep issues (see below);
- rashes and allergies (see below); and
- nervous energy, fears, fits and meltdowns (see below).
- essential oils for anxiety;
- essential oils for ADD / ADHD
- essential oils for constipation; and
- essential oils for candida.
- Oils: Balance, lavender, Serenity, ylang ylang, Roman chamomile, clary sage, orange, Citrus Bliss, vetiver, geranium, melissa, sandalwood, bergamot, rose, marjoram
- Rub any above oils on feet, or diluted behind ears or on wrists before bed.
- Diffusion: Diffuse essential oils15-30 minutes before bed to help you feel calm and relaxed before going to sleep
- Place a drop or two of a soothing essential oil or blend on a pillow or stuffed animal before you sleep to help calm your mind and body.
- Linen Spray: Make a soothing linen spray by mixing 5-6 drops of a soothing essential oil or blend with 1 oz. water in a small misting spray bottle. Shake, and spray lightly onto pillows, sheets, blankets, curtains, or into the air.
- Layer Balance, vetiver and lavender on the big toe of each foot allowing the child to inhale each one throughout the process.
- For an adult you can add 2 drops lavender and 2 drops vetiver to a gelatin capsule or a shot of water and take before bed.
Oils – melaleuca, lavender, peppermint, Roman chamomile, Melissa, patchouli, eucalyptus, lemon and ylang ylang, Balance, blue tansy (anti-intch)
- Apply lavender, lemon and peppermint to the bottom of feet.
- Dilute in fractionated coconut oil, 3 drops lavender, 6 drops Roman chamomile, 2 drops Myrrh and 1 drop peppermint on location.
- Make a blend of geranium, lavender and ylang ylang diluted in fractionated coconut oil.
- Oils: bergamot, Balance, frankincense, Roman Chamomile, lavender, patchouli, wild orange and Serenity.
- Apply in the following order on the top of each big toe, allowing the child to inhale the fragrances as you go: Balance, Roman chamomile and lavender. If you cannot get to the feet, apply the oils behind the ears or on the inside of the wrists.
- Diffuse: 3 drops of bergamot or wild orange and 1-2 drops of lavender to create a calming environment.